Monday, May 13, 2013

Stuffed Peppers

One of my favorite dishes has to be stuffed peppers.  I used to make them quite often with ground beef and rice.  Well, ground beef is no longer an option here......however.......here is my vegan version which not only tastes the same (well, not really - they taste better!) but are super easy.  Trader Joe's has "Beef-less" Ground Beef.  Who knew products like this even existed?  I certainly didn't in my prevegan days.  Now that I do know I will be trying this product in other recipes that would normally call for ground beef.  All I can say is "simple & delicious!"  Enjoy!

Hope all you moms out there  had a great Mother's Day.  I know I did.  Had my 3 boys together and the weather was great. Not only that my wonderful daughter in law who is from Indonesia made me a dish using tempeh.  This new vegan here had  never had a dish before with tempeh and I now believe that all things vegan are just getting better and better.  Hope on for the ride as I discover new dishes every day!

STUFFED PEPPERS
1 package Trader Joe's Beef-less Ground Beef (this equals 1 lb of ground beef)
2 cups of cooked rice
2 jars of prepared tomato sauce (reserve 2 tablespoons)
5 peppers (I used assorted colors)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion - chopped
2 or 3 cloves or garlic - minced
fresh chopped parsley
2 teaspoons dried oregano
salt & pepper to taste

Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and clean.  Keep pepper tops.
Cook rice according to directions.
Heat oil in large skillet.  Add onion and cook for several minutes until soft.
Add garlic to skillet and saute until fragrant, only about 1 minute.
Add Beef-less ground beef to pan and cooked rice and cook until warm and blended.
In large pot add both jars of tomato sauce.  Turn heat on to low.
In large bowl combine Beef-less meat and rice mixture and add breadcrumbs, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.  Add 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce to this mixture.
Stuff mixture loosely to just about top of pepper. Repeat with pepper.  Add top to pepper, if desired.
Stand peppers upright into pot and turn heat to medium-low and simmer for about 1 hour.
Check occasionally and stir sauce around each pepper.
Peppers are done with they are somewhat soft and can be cut easily.
Top peppers with sauce and enjoy!






6 comments:

  1. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    Just stopping by to let you know you won the Zulka sugar giveaway on my blog. Come by to claim your prize!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. My (non vegetarian) boyfriend really loves the beefless beef from TJ's lol! Sounds perfect in these stuffed peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! I love that they are meat-free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look hearty, healthy, and super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh, Baaaaby.
    these look Out of this World good. X

    ReplyDelete