Friday, May 3, 2013

Vegan Banana Bread

This was my first try at a vegan banana bread and this is some good stuff....Yes, it is and I have proof.  My husband and my coworkers all loved it.  At first I wondered if everyone was just being polite but an empty plate was all the proof I needed!  I personally will cut back on the amount of sugar next time but that's just me.  Whether you are vegan or not, I really think you will enjoy this bread.  I am so excited to be posting this because I happen to LOVE banana bread and wanted this to be my first recipe post on this blog and was hoping it would be successful!  I hope you give this a try.  I found the recipe here.  I still have lots of work to do fixing up this blog the way I like it so please be patient with it looking so plain!!!

Vegan Banana Bread

2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain soy  milk or almond milk (I used almond breeze)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups mashed banana (3 or 4 large bananas)
1/4 cup canola oil
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
walnuts (optional , I just added a bunch on top)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil a 9 x 5 in loaf  pan.
In a medium mixing bowl sift together all dry ingredients.
In a large mixing bowl add  soy milk with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and let sit for a few minutes.
Add the mashed banana, canola oil, maple syrup and vanilla and mix together.
Add the dry ingredients to this and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
Add the walnuts, if using them and pour mixture into prepared loaf pan.

Bake for approximately 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center emerges clean.  Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan to cool on wire rack.

8 comments:

  1. I made quite a few vegan treats this weekend for a friends' bridal shower and they were so good! Reminded me that I need to do more vegan baking...starting with this banana bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! There is nothing better than homemade banana bread. This looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new blog! You seem so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banana bread is always a welcome treat. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with banana bread.

    ♡ rika, vegan miam
    www.veganmiam.com
    ★ we travel + eat vegan blog ★

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good - I don't know much about eating vegan, but is it because you used soy milk?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new blog, Deb! I'm not a vegan... I love me some meat, but I am never against trying to make things I eat a little healthier :) Love this bread recipe... will have to try it next time I make banana bread... looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete